Thursday, February 21, 2008

The heart of the Wesleyan Church

Over the next 10 days I will have the chance to visit with many friends on the East Coast. I look forward to sharing God's call on my life, meet new people, visit with my relatives, and see how God moves.

I am also REALLY looking forward to the possibility of meeting up with 2 different people at Asbury Seminary on my way out.
1. Joe Dongell- is my dad's cousin who is a highly regarded and respected professor at Asbury who i have heard a lot about but never met. I hope to meet him and his family on this trip.
2. Richard Waugh and his family. Richard Waugh is over in the US for a year getting his doctorate. He is the head of the Wesleyan Methodist church of New Zealand and is originally from there.

I love Richard's heart for the gospel and the Wesleyan church. When i hear of him speak of his vision of the Wesleyan church being a place of diversity and believers pushing and cheering each other to becoming the most like Christ that we possibly can through our love, openness, and devotion to one another and God, i get excited. I appreciate his fresh perspective on what the Wesleyan church and body of Christ can be instead of focusing on what it is not and the things that we shouldn't be doing. He is a man of discipline and vision and i am excited to work with him in the development of the national Wesleyan church of New Zealand.

1 comment:

BJ said...

Ironically, since this photo was taken, Jeff has shaved his tache off and Richard has grown one...the mustache is really only worn by Traffic cops and the Village people in NZ.

Looking forward to you being with us Brent - how's the fundraising going?!?!

You owe me this week's email... :)